Many of us prefers to enjoy their favorite video content on Laptop as it provides immersive viewing experinece than smartphone. Imagine the situation when you played a YouTube in Google Chrome but there is no sound output.
Probably, you will be get frustrated in this situation. To check the sound output, you will start playing an audio file or song in the media player and check audio option. Everything is working fine except the sound output in Chrome.
So you starting think about how to fix the no sound issue in Google Chrome.
Many Google Chrome users face this issue. There are some ways that helps you in fixing the issue of Google Chrome having no sound or audio output.
Below are the list of solutions you should try.
1. Restart Computer
At first, you should restart your computer. Many times the issue is temporary one and with a normal reboot, it gets fixed.
2. Unmute the Tab
Google Chrome comes with the option to mute an individual tab. Manytimes, user mutes the tab by mistake, which leads to no sound output in Chrome.
To make sure the tab is muted or not, right-click on Google Chrome’s tab which is not playing the audio. If you get the option of Unmute site then it means the tab is muted. Just click on Unmute site and it will fix the audio issue.
3. Verify Chrome Audio Settings
Google Chrome has also inbuilt audio setting options. You can easily allow and disallow (mute) sound for any site from this audio settings. To check these options:
- Click on three dots in top-right corner and select Settings option.
- Go to Privacy and security and click on Site Settings.
- Click on Additional Site Settings and select Sound
- Now you need to ensure that Allow sites to play sound (recommended) option is turned on.
4. Check Volume Mixer
You also need to check the Chrome’s sound in Volume mixer. To do so, you need to follow the below steps.
- Check for the Sound icon in the system tray of the taskbar. Right-click on the sound icon and click on Open Volume mixer.
- Now you need to make sure that Chrome is not muted and the volume is sufficiently high.
5. Check Correct Output Device
In some cases, there are more than one output device connected then you should verify that chrome is using the active audio source. Some times, the browser uses the inactive audio source which leads to no audio output in Google Chrome.
To verify it, proceed with below steps:
- Press Windows + I keys and Windows Settings page will open.
- Click on System and select Sound.
- In the Sound settings, a drop-down option box will be available under Output. You need to choose the correct speaker output here.
By selecting the speaker output, you can check whether the sound is working or not in Chrome. If sound is still not working, plz proceed with further steps.
Now you need to check the sound output source of Chrome. To check it, proceed with below steps.
- On the System Sound settings page, just scroll down and under Advanced sound option, click on ‘App volume and device preferences’.
- Now check the output source of Chrome which will be listed under Apps. Make sure the right-output is select which is “Default”.
- If the right option is not selected, fix it by selecting it to Default.
- Restart the browser and the audio issue will be fixed.
6. Disconnect Bluetooth Audio Devices
In many cases, sound output will be coming via a Bluetooth Audio device. In that case, system speakers will be unable to provide sound output. To fix this, you should disconnect that Bluetooth device. We can also turn off the Bluetooth feature within the operating system,
Turn Off Bluetooth in Mac
- Choose Apple menu > System Preferences
- In the Preference window, select Bluetooth.
- On the left side of the Windows, click on the Turn Bluetooth Off
Turn Off Bluetooth in Windows
- Click on Start button
- Navigate to Choose Settings > Devices > Bluetooth & other devices.
- Now click on Bluetooth switch to turn it off.
After disconnecting the Bluetooth audio device, you need to make sure that no other audio output is connected.
7. Update Sound Drivers
It is essential to have latest audio drivers installed in your computer. Make sure that the drivers installed are compatibelt with your system. If the sound drivers is corrupted then no software will not able output audio.
To updated the audio drivers, follow these steps:
- Right-click on the Start menu and select the Device Manager.
- Double-click on “Sound, video and game controllers’ option. After it, right-click on the Audio Driver and select Update driver.
- After completing the driver updating process, restart your computer.
8. Reset Chrome Browser
If none of the above fix works, then try resetting the Chrome. By resetting the browser, all the temporary data will get deleted and extension gets disabled. Your passwords, history and bookmarks will not get deleted.
The Startup page, new tab page, cookie and search engine preference etc. will get reset.
Below are steps you need to follow to reset Google Chrome:
1. Click on “Settings” in Chrome menu and navigate to Advanced.
2. Scroll down to ‘Restore settings to their original defaults’ under Reset and clean up and click on it.
3. Click on “Reset settings”
After completing the process, restart your browser.