Google Chrome offers a built-in password manager tool. If you have used Chrome then you will already be aware of this password-saving feature. It will automatically fill in the login information in the login and registration forms on any website. You can also easily view saved passwords in Chrome android.
Sometimes a situation arises that Chrome not saving passwords. It can easily be resolved by updating Google Chrome to the latest version.
You can also import or export from the chrome browser. The passwords can be downloaded in a CSV file and uploaded back to the browser.
Whenever you save passwords in Chrome password manager, you don’t need to remember these passwords every time. During login, Chrome will fill the password automatically. In many situations, you want to get a backup of the passwords stored in the password manager. It can be due to modifying the new passwords in bulk, change of operating system, and more.
In case, if you see any suspicious activity in your Google account or your passwords are compromised then it’s better to downloading and update the passwords in bulk.
Import Export Passwords In Google Chrome
Let’s proceed further and know how to import and export passwords in Google Chrome.
1.Export Passwords From Chrome
To export the passwords from Chrome, you can save the passwords as a CSV file locally on your computer. You need to follow the below-listed steps:
- Go to the “chrome://settings” URL on the address bar.
- Under “Autofill” click on “Passwords”.
- Now you will be on the “Chrome Password Manager” page. You can go to this page directly by entering “chrome://settings/passwords” in the address bar of Chrome.
- In front of the “Saved Passwords” option, click on the three-dot buttons. An “Export passwords…” button will be shown. Click on it.
- A prompt will be shown by Chrome to export passwords.
- Click on “Export Passwords” button.
- Now to export passwords, you need to enter the administrator password or scan your fingerprint on your PC or Mac. It is done to securely provide password export in Chrome.
- By default, Google Chrome will name the password file as “Chrome Passwords”. The file format will be CSV. If you want, you can change the file name and save the file on your computer in any destination folder.
- Now you have downloaded and saved the password CSV file on your PC. You can open it with Microsoft Excel or Apple Numbers and see all the usernames and passwords.
2. What If Export Password Option Not Available
If you don’t see “Import Passwords” option in Chrome Password Manger then you don’t need to worry. The Passowrd import feature is disbled by deafult. You can enable it from Chrome experimental features.
- Open the Chrome browser and type in “chrome://flags” into the address bar.
- In the flags panel, you will see a warning about using experimental features .
- There will be long list of experimental flag on the page. Just type the “password import” in the search box on the top.
- Now you will see a “Password import” flag with “Default” option.
- Click on the Default” button and from dropdown choose “Enabled.
- Relaunch the browser.
3. How To Import Passwords Into Chrome
To import passwords in Chrome, you need to open Chrome Password Manager by going to URL “chrome://settings/passwords”. Now click on the three dots button which is located against the “Saved Passwords”. A new option of “Import” will be displayed.
Click on the “Import” option. Now select the password CSV file which you have modified. The Chrome Password Manager will update all the passwords.
You also need to remember that anyone with administrator access to Windows or Mac can easily download passwords from Chrome browser. In case, if you are suspicious that someone has knows your admin password, you should immediately change the admin password. After it, change the password in Chrome by downloading the CSV file.
You should also delete the CSV file after the task has been completed.
So, this is how you can import & export passwords in Chrome by using it default Chrome Password Manager. We recommend you to keep your password safe & secure by using password managers.