Many of the Windows 10 users face the “Microsoft Edge not working or won’t open” issue. If are you also facing the same issue then you are not alone.
Microsft Edge is an outstanding browser that comes pre-installed on Windows-based computers. The browser’s performance is skyrocketed after shifting from EdgeHTML to Chromium.
Having an issue with Microsft Edge is not a problem for those who use multiple browsers on their Windows 10 computers. But if you are one of those who prefer Edge as the default browser on the computer system then the situation will be complicated.
There can be several reasons for Microsoft Edge not working. It can be any bug, outdated browser cache, etc. Let’s go ahead and find out how you can fix this issue of Microsoft Edge won’t open.
Whether Microsft Edge opens but stops working or won’t open, below are the possible solutions you need to take to fix this issue.
End Microsoft Edge Process
Many times, the Edge browser gets hanged at the launch and won’t open the user interface. The browser process is already running in the background. So you will be failed to relaunch it again. In this case, you need to manually end the Edge-related process in the task manager. Below are the steps.
- Right-click on the task manager and click “Task Manager”.
2. You need to check for the “Microsoft Edge” under the Process tab within the Apps section.
3. Click on End Task. In the Background Process section, if you see any other Edge-related process close it by selecting it and clicking “End Task”.
4. Close the Task Manager
5. Open Microsoft Edge
If you have ended all the Edge-related processes in the task manager and still the browser is not opening then you need to restart your computer. After restarting the computer, try to relaunch the Microsoft Edge.
If the cache of the Microsoft Edge is outdate then it can be the possible reason of such issue. Deleting it can help you. If you are not able to open Microsoft Edge then deleting the cache is not a straight process. You need to take below steps to delete the Edge browser cache.
- Open the Run box by pressing Windows+R keys.
- Copy and Paste the path listed below and press Enter.
3. A windows will open. Press Ctrl+A to select all files and folders.
4. Righ-click on the selected files and click on delete to clear the Microsoft Edge’s cache.
5. Now lauch Microsoft Edge.
Delete Defualt User Profile
If the user profile of the browser got corrupted then you may find that the browser will not open. In this case, you need to delete the user profile data. If any of your browser data in Microsft Edge is unsynched, will also get deleted.
1. Open Run box.
2. Copy and Paste the path listed below and press Enter.
3. Right-click on the folder named “Default”.
4. Click on Delete.
5. Try relayching the Microsft Edge.
Keep The Windows Up to Date
An outdated Windows OS can cause different issues. The updates are delivered to fix the issues that arise from time to time. This Microsoft Edge issue can be due to outdated Windows. Although updates get downladed and installed by Windows automatically, but its easy to miss certain updates.
To update the Windows 10 maunally, follow the below steps:
1. Click on Start menu and goto Settings > Updte & Security.
2. Click on “Check for Updates”.
3. Click Download and install.
Reinstall Microsoft Edge
If none of the above listed methods works then it is best to re-install the Microsoft Edge. Before reinstalling, you need to uninstall it first. If you have installed Microsft Edge manually then you will be able to uninstall it.
1. Open the Settings app by clicking Start menu and afterthat gear icon.
2. In the Settings window, click Apps.
3. Under Apps & features, scroll down to Microsoft Edge. Select it and click on Uninstall button. If this button is grey in color then you will not be able to uninstall it with this method.
There is an alternate method to uninstall the Microsoft Edge browser.
- Open Command Prompt as an adminitrator.
- In Command Prompt, copy-paste the following command and replace *** with the Edge’s version number.
Press Enter and the Command Prompt will get switched to Edge’s installer.
3. Copy and Paste the command and hit Enter.
setup.exe –uninstall –system-level –verbose-logging –force-uninstall
4. Now Edge will get unistalled from your Windows 10 computer. You may need to restart the PC.
5. After restart, tyep Microsoft Edge in Windows search box. Open it and its EdgeHTML version will open.
7. Copy and Paste the URL https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/edge in the address bar and hit Enter.
8. Click on “Download for Windows 10” button and it will download & re-install the latest Edge browser.
Now we can expect that your issue of Microsoft Edge is not opening on Windows 10 is resolved. If you know about any other fix for this issue, let us know about it in the comment section.